Pages

07 December 2009

Postcards: Newfoundland

A Festival of Postcards at Yvonne’s A Canadian Family blog, 6th edition:
So this is your chance to share any of your black and white postcards, or colour postcards featuring white (think white sands and snow, White Cliffs of Dover etc.). As always, feel free to play with the theme. Do you have postcards depicting places that incorporate the word white (or bianco, blanc etc.)? How about a play on words (e.g. white elephant, it`s not black & white?) You’ve pretty well got carte blanche!”

I’ve always collected postcards. Their professional photography plays a large part to fill in my own amateur camera attempts, and trigger my memories of places I’ve been. They also represent faraway or intriguing places my friends have visited. This is my first time “playing” in this Festival and I found one of my favourites. It’s black and white, so it fits the criteria.
Caption on reverse:
“Submerged house being towed by a schooner. In November, 1929, a major tidal wave struck Newfoundland’s south coast, resulting in extensive property damage and the loss of more than twenty lives.”
– Produced and distributed by M & B Postcards, (709) 745-1908
– Photo courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (reference PANL A2-149)

The postcard was mailed from Rocky Harbour NL on 7 August 2007 by my travelling daughter. A magnificent photograph that speaks to isolated communities and family salvage.

4 comments:

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

This is a great - and unique - entry for the December Festival of Postcards, Brenda. Thank you!
I will be back for another visit when I've finished collating the Festival!
Evelyn in Montreal

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

Hello Brenda!
The "Festival of Postcards(6th Ed.)White" was published yesterday afternoon here:
http://wp.me/pp92w-77c
Your entry is in the Water section of Postcards in the past tense. Thank you again for participating.
Evelyn in Montreal

P.S. Please copy the Festival url into your post to aid readers in moving between your post and the Festival. It's a big one!

Christine H. said...

Wow, that's amazing to look at. I wonder what they did with the house.

BDM said...

Christine, I hope some family is happily living in it now, wherever it was relocated. Obviously they thought it was worth the trouble(!) of saving and moving it!